Published On:Friday, August 23, 2013
Posted by Sri Lanka Guardian
| by Rajasingham Jayadevan
Dear Isai Gnani Ilaiyarajah
( August 24, 2013, London, Sri Lanka Guardian) As the much publicised ‘King the King’ (Raja The Raja) fund raising programme to be held at the grand 02 Arena in London on 24 August 2013 with all the exceedingly praising comments being made about you without any debate, I thought this is the opportune moment to publish an open appeal to you to make public, a painful encounter of possible financial impropriety by you of a pioneering project that you have unaccounted for yet.
I have already publicised the financial irregularities involving the ‘Thiruvasagam in Symphony’ project that received very wide coverage in many acclaimed social media. I am attaching my write up to avoid repeating the revelations.
|Will Ilayarajah make public statement about the ‘Thiruvasagam in Symphony’ finances in London?|
Purpose of this open appeal is to ask you to make a public statement at your grand ‘Raja The Raja’ event about the handling of the finances of the ‘Thiruvasagam in Symphony’ project. I feel, it will be an opportune podium for you to:
1. Confirm that ‘Thiruvasagam in Symphony’ is the outright property of the ‘Isaignani Ilayarajah’ and the funds received and expended are exclusively that of ‘Isaignani Illaiyarajah’.
2. Confirm the reasons for you to unilaterally take control of the ‘Thiruvasagam in Symphony’ project at a crucial point thus undermining the mechanisms that were developed to make the project international repute.
3. Confirm in public that you will provide a detailed financial statement of the project and disclose the terms of the contract with the distributer of the ‘Thiruvasagam in Symphony’ to generate ongoing income from the project.
4. As public funds of individual and charities are involved, it is important that a public declaration is made about how the financial surplus or deficit of ‘Thiruvasagam in Symphony’ is dealt with. If the project had made surplus, it is in the public interest that full scrutinised disclosure is made about the whereabouts of the gains. If the funds are held in trust by you, it is vital an explanation is given about why the funds are held for such a long time without being distributed to the funders or given to a reputable Charity in agreement with the funders.
5. As you have not done anything in the public way so far to disclose the financial management of the project, it is not too late to undertake one of the following at this belated stage. 02 Arena is the best platform for you to announce your intention that will comfort the financiers like the Charity I am attached to. In this respect, I request you to:
- i. Publicly state your willingness to release the surplus of ‘Thiruvasagam in symphony’ project and any royalty, commissions, gains etc to be received in the future to the project funders.
- ii. If you are not agreeable to release the surplus to the funders publicly, state your willingness to donate any surplus to a reputable charity or charities in agreement with the funders.
I trust that you will give due consideration to the appeal and act above board to restore confidence in you that you will be acting in a fair manner to deal with the public funds alleged to be in your control or is part of your personal wealth.