| by Rajasingham Jayadevan
( August 24, 2014, London, Sri Lanka Guardian) Sri Lanka is acutely suffering from manic disorder since its military wresting control of the Eastern Province from the LTTE in July 2007. Sri Lanka is experiencing all the recognisable symptoms the ailment embody, and acute treatment of psychotherapy is needed to arrest the disease. The symptoms of manic attack are: overblown snobbishness, restlessness, sleeplessness, jabbering too much, conflicts in thoughts, agitated behaviour, risky pursuits and making meals out of unimportant issues.
The whole body politics of Sri Lanka is going through a directionless skewed path that even the international effort to help arrest the disorder is being bullishly resisted by the ailing government. This manic disorder is having consequences for India too. Any attempt by India to help deal with the problem is rebounding on India as the snotty Sri Lanka is cuddling the lethal stocks like Pakistan, China, Myanmar, Iran, Australia etc., to avoid receiving the necessary treatment. The other victims of the overblown snobbishness of Sri Lanka are: Ban-Ki-Moon, Navaneethampillai, USA, EU and a whole heap of other countries, as well as local and international non-governmental organisations, local media and the worst the judiciary of Sri Lanka. The manic attack has reached a stage that Sri Lanka has lost its balance and is crawling through African states to sing and fairy dance furthering its dire medical condition.
Subramaniam Swamy-the unpleasant eccentric , Lord Nesabit- allegedly a controversial paid agent, Lord Sheik-a new found lover of Sri Lanka , and some other British parliamentarians are making the condition worse for Sri Lanka by joining in its psychotic dance. Masterly China is fishing in the troubled waters. It is pumping in conditional finances to extend the risky enjoyable pursuits. Corruption and murderous quests are high on the manic disorder and the Tamils and Muslims are being battered in the psychotic thrill of the government.
The ruling coalition parliamentarians of the legislature are a bunch of uncouth who are enjoying the thrill of the psychotic salsa of the Executive. Most of them are diabolical crusaders who cannot think beyond petty parochial pursuits and are hero worshipping crusaders. The Executive functionaries of the legislature are the creamed out sub-servants who does not comprehend the very meaning of exercising their executive powers.
- Prof Gamini Luxsman Peiris is the most special of the government Ministers. He is a professor in law, who does not understand the very basics of legal rights of his own External Affairs Ministry. His ministry is under seizure by others. The learned Professor is being officially shadowed by the President’s questionable soul mate Sajin Vas Gunawardene who has gone to the extent on his own of employing international consultants for millions of dollars to lobby President Obama and Prime Minister David Cameron. Even the Central Bank Governor Ajith Nivard Cabraal has appointed international consultants for political propaganda work, knowing very well the Foreign Minister will not take him to task for not even consulting with him. EAM has subcontracted its major function of appointing diplomats and officials to the Sri Lankan foreign missions to the President’s brother Goatabaya’s Defence Ministry. Except for the appointment of the 82 year old Neville De Silva as the Deputy High Commissioner of the Sri Lanka mission in London, when retirement age of government servants is 60 years, there are no credible evidence of his office having any influence in the EAM’s own mandated appointments.
Verbal unfetter - the symptom of manic disorder of jabbering too much is a specialism of Prof. G L Peiris. Inconsistent, contradictory, illegal, irresponsible and boring comments are freely delivered whenever he gets the opportunity. He loves microphones. He will say one thing in Washington one day; then the next day another contradicting the Washington story in Beijing; following that will be a mix of both in a banana republic and thereafter an upbeat statement in Colombo to boast about his achievement to satisfy his master. When he visits the west, he will not make an attempt to meet the Tamils and will make a snap shot official engagement and run through the back doors silently to avoid meeting them.
The government media spokesman Minister Kehalia Rumbukkawela is a hilarious government official spokesperson. He has to learn a lot from the Indian External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin, not to go into hypes on sensitive issues. He embodies all the symptoms of manic disorder to the extent of falling off from a hotel room window in Australia in a confused state mind.
- Minister Mervin Silva is a real gutter Minister who does not understand what his ministerial responsibilities are. The Minister has no self esteem having been battered, bruised and insulted many times and still he enjoys the embrace of the Chief Executive to extend his nonsensical pursuits. The peak of his behavior is digging his own grave in the Colombo Kanaththa cemetery and performing his funeral service before his death in the future. He is an embodiment of evil and visibly reflects the psychotic state of the government.
- Minister of Justice Rauf Hakeem is another educated hoodwink who does not understand his ministerial authority and responsibilities. Whilst serving the government, he behaves like an opposition MP and appeals for international support against the government. He is a gutless and an insensitive Minister who presided over the irregular removal of the former Chief Justice Shirani Bandaranayake from office. Under his ministerial leadership, he is witnessing the Judges acting substandard. No one knows what he has achieved as Justice Minister. He is a minister who could not introduce a bill to deal with the fanaticism of the Buddhist monks for bashing his own Muslim community publicly without any fear.
- Prof. Tissa Vitharane who presided over the APRC and produced a set of proposals to change the constitution is a lame duck minister in his residual age. His upbeat statement in May 2009 that his proposal will be implemented after the defeat of the LTTE is still yet to materialise. His mind and tong have frozen since the defeat of the LTTE and he is even unable to confirm the fate of his proposal.
- Minister Wimal Weerawanse who is a well known shot gun terrorist of the JVP, is another unique character who embodies all the symptoms of manic disorder. He is a drama king patronised by the head of the executive to trivialise serious issues in a childish manner.
- Minister Champika Ranawake who rose from bullock cart lifestyle to drive luxury Mercedes Benz cars is a Minister who embodies downright anti-Tamil racism. He is patronised and tolerated for all his anti sentiments that the manic disorders can only tolerate.
Rishad Bathiudeen is another nauseating minister who is capable of even spoiling the savoury soup with his manoeuvrings. He exceeds his ministerial responsibilities and engage in the Islamisation work all over the country. Being the Minister of Industry and Commerce, he took the liberty of privately trade the LTTE’s war damaged metal stock for his Islamisation projects.
The psychotic state of affairs of Sri Lanka is such that gonibillas (sack ghosts) and venomous crusaders are being produced ongoing basis. One time, it was the Grease Yakka/s (Ghost/s) that terrorised the people. The supper police and the military are still to arrest this manic disorder. Who are the white van abductors and killers- they too are part of the psychotic body politics of the state.
The newcomers to the scene are the extremist Buddhist monk brigade of the Defence Ministry Bodu Bala Sena (BBS). Despite the serious criminal acts of the group, none of them have been arrested or prosecuted yet. BBS is one of the worst of the psychotic conditions of Sri Lanka.
Why did Sri Lanka turn psychotic? It is the world that failed to have check and balance and only woke up after 9/11. Post 9/11 anti- terrorist world politics helped Sri Lanka to go against the LTTE outright but Sri Lanka went overboard. Thousands of civilians were killed for three decades by the state and the LTTE but the world kept silent. The former UN General Secretary Boutros-Boutros Ghalli only made a passing comment in 1992 during the Jayasekuru operations claiming that ‘human catastrophe’ is facing the Tamil people. But the UN mechanism did not take any serious steps to ensure proper checks and balances on Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka thrived on the world mission to wipe out terrorism. Its inhuman warfare and its inability to go further on the political resolution to the conflict has pushed the country to the corner. Sri Lanka says it will not allow the UN to stampede on its sovereignty to undertake any war crimes inquiries on its soil. Sri Lanka knows the outcome and the consequences for both co-operating or non-operating with the UN. If the UN is allowed to go through the Chinese and ADB funded roads to undertake war crimes investigations, there will be substantive and corroborative evidence of highest degree to give an outright judgement. Obstructing the process is the only way to cover up the full facts emerging and the government is doing all the psychotic dances to prevent the UN from having reasonable access to the ground. Many war victims left the and country there will be abundance of evidence for the UN to give a fair judgement. An valid ex parte decision will be given without the presence of Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka has compromised its sovereignty by acceding to the international treaties and covenants that facilitates UN investigations against the country. It is not the sovereignty that can save the game players - Sri Lanka knows it is the diplomatic immunity they enjoy will prolong the consequence. Continuing in power indefinitely is the only hope the government have and for that the President has changed the constitution in his favour.
Even Al-Basheer of Sudan with diplomatic immunity could not address the UNGA in 2013 as he was pointed to get his visa to The Hague first to comply with the UNSC resolution against him.